• So, what is a brat and what is bratting?

My interest is piqued on this subject following another thread. I used to identify as a sub and then a friend suggested I was more of a brat. That seemed to fit what I understood about bratting at the time and I decided that identifying as brat was definitely more fitting for me. However, after reading other people's definitions of brats, I'm not sure whether I am one or not. I have considered changing my Fetlife status to "bottom" but I don't really want to because, well....bottom; makes me think bum!

Obviously, I'm using very general labels to try and define a range of complex behaviours so it's a bit black and white. I generally prefer trying to see the shades of grey unless it's THAT book!

I don't really want this thread to end up in a debate about whether people like it or not; but rather what your definitions of it are.

So, what, in your opinion, is a brat? What is brattish behaviour?
    Comments 15 Comments
      cherryripe -
      It's one of those 'titles' that have so many different meanings to different folks hon some see brats as naughty, trick playing rebellious persona's, Others may see them as cheeky and fun. I had one male friend who said that he felt being a brat was not being cheeky (as that was just me) But if i was to do something i shouldn't do and KNEW I shouldn't then that would be bratty.

i Always saw brattiness as acting spoilt and precious, refusing to do as one was asked, rebelling against rules and throwing tantrums LOL

However i feel on sites like this it is often a 'fond' term given to the cheeky young ladies who need (and want) spanking and will often verbally spar to get the response of 'You need a spanking young lady' LOL

I have also at times seen lots of 'overbratting' where personal remarks offend or things go 'too far' this may occur when finding yourself suddenly aware of spanking sites join them and get all excitable!

LOL well i will stop there and let someone else comment, hope my input answers some questions xxx hugssssss
      Crazy_Pineapple -
      Thank you for your input Cherry. It does seem that everyone has their own definition xx
      Richard -
      I thought I had posted on this but it seems not.

The more I think about this subject, the more I am convinced that Bratting CAN only happen when both the people involved accept it is just that. In other words, what might be a brattish remark, if made outside of the right context or relationship, would probably be just an insult.

Whether something is bratting, offensive fun or insulting, depends not as much on what is said or done, as the situation and relationship between the people involved.

That is my view anyway.
      Crazy_Pineapple -
      Hi Richard, Yes you posted on the thread but this appears to have become an article now too. I agree with your view.
      cherryripe -
      OOPSIE is cos i didn't see the other post LOL and posted here instead!!!!
      Crazy_Pineapple -
      Quote Originally Posted by cherryripe View Post
      OOPSIE is cos i didn't see the other post LOL and posted here instead!!!!
      You can post anywhere lovely x
      pensioner -
      Does it matter what name you call yourself as long as YOU are happy with what you are doing. As the old sating goes "sticks and stones may break my bones but names will never hurt me."
      M -
      I don't play with brats and I do not tolerate bratting. I expect compliance in the people I hit. No, I am not interested in 'making' them submit. They can jolly well march themselves over to the spanking bench, I'm not going to drag them - it's not fun for me.

However, a bit of friendly banter in the right circumstances with the right people can be fun.

I have noticed that sometimes behaviour is called 'bratting' when it is done by subs or bottoms, but if a top does the same thing, it is 'banter'.

If someone described the verbal sparring that I occasionally engage in as 'bratting' they would get a very sharp and disagreeable reply.
      M -
      Quote Originally Posted by cherryripe View Post
      But if i was to do something i shouldn't do and KNEW I shouldn't then that would be bratty.
      But .... surely that is just called being inconsiderate to the person who had asked you not to do that thing?!
      Richard -
      Is that not what I said above M? well, more or less lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post

Whether something is bratting, offensive fun or insulting, depends not as much on what is said or done, as the situation and relationship between the people involved.

That is my view anyway.
      anarchistic masochist -
      My definitions and distinctions?

Brat: a playful submissive that does not take themselves too seriously; someone who is deliberately cheeky in order to get what they want, i.e. a spanking and a good telling off. Often into ageplay and has Little tendencies.

Sub: more into the protocol side of it; loves to please; naturally very obedient; rarely "acts up"; can be owned/collared.

slave: owned/collared/branded as property/ tattooed as property or a combination of all of these; into High Protocol; not cheeky AT ALL and super obedient.

These are VERY simplistic generalisations - everyone is different of course, but a brat is very often (not always) a free agent, and has a very casual and playful attitude to the whole D/s dynamic.

These are based on my own observations only. x

a-m
      Lesley -
      Well, l see bratting as being something that is ingrained into someone ..... like me .... sometimes l just can't help myself. Like being untidy around my house, being generally naughty, cheeky or rude to people. .. all that sort of thing.
      Richard -
      Edited as I do not want to offend anyone, each to their own.
      Cally -
      I think bratting is fine as long as, like spanking, it is consensual. But if someone clearly doesn't welcome it then to target them with bratting attacks is, I think just plain rude and disrespectful. But I have very much loved being bratted on occasion but then that person knows it is okay and I will play my role in the whole thing (usually a pompous old codger struggling to maintain authority but somehow, more by luck than judgement getting there in the end). I suppose the problem might be at parties or other gatherings when people not involved can be made all too aware of the bratting or it can overspill to impinge on them or cause annoyance.
      anarchistic masochist -
      Quote Originally Posted by Callipygian View Post
      I think bratting is fine as long as, like spanking, it is consensual. But if someone clearly doesn't welcome it then to target them with bratting attacks is, I think just plain rude and disrespectful. But I have very much loved being bratted on occasion but then that person knows it is okay and I will play my role in the whole thing (usually a pompous old codger struggling to maintain authority but somehow, more by luck than judgement getting there in the end). I suppose the problem might be at parties or other gatherings when people not involved can be made all too aware of the bratting or it can overspill to impinge on them or cause annoyance.
      Yep - consent and respect is EVERYTHING. x